Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Turn Altoid Tin into a Ring Holder


I will show you step by step how I created my Ring Box
This is not my original idea but I had lots of fun making it


Time: 1-1.5 hrs    Difficulty: Medium      Parental involvement required: Yes

1. Step one - found the Altoid Box at a Candy Shop in Leura in the Blue Mountains





2. Used Blow Touch to burn off all the paint
CAUTION THIS WAS DONE OUTSIDE AS THE FUMES WERE TOXIC

  • Be very careful not to get flames too close to tin as it get too hot - careful not to buckle tin
  • DONT BURN HINGES at back of box

You could just use sandpaper but the burning made the paint twice as easy to remove




3. Used Fine Sandpaper (180 grain) to remove residual and burnt paint
I was a bit worried at this stage but it turned out fine


4. You could re-paint the box. I loved the silver look so much I decided to leave it
I have read that you can use inks to stain the box different colours too


5. Used purple felt (folder over till it was double thickness) to fill the tin

6. Cut paper to fill the lid

7. Finish by putting your favourite rings inside...how cute is that..
Now my daughter wants one and I can't part with mine!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment